Request details

Rotate Prototype: Preview window should adjust size automatically

As a user, I want to be able to switch preview screen orientation (e.g., portrait to landscape) so that The preview looks like I've physically rotated the device.

We have a portrait browsing experience. Users can click and watch a video in landscape mode. When trying to go back to portrait view, there seems to be some kind odd struggle in the preview window. It's not the same scale between the rotations.

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh Curtis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Milana Stanic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This actually works if the viewport is proper, so scrolling none is checked. When changing the orientation of the artboard by default a viewport will be added if a bigger element is hidden by the change. Hope it helps someone.

• Amalie Reimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sitting right now with the problem that i have to show my product portrait and landscape... and because it is not possible to rotate i gotta make two versions...

• Matthijs Clasener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! That's very important. Would love that feature. Making a portrait and a landscape version in one XD file. Preview it. And the preview understands if Portrait or Landscape is needed.

• Rubén commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even on 90% portrait apps we sometimes need to show some landscape rotation scree (i.e. video feeds or photo galleries).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since XD allows landscape and portrait artboards in the same project, please have the preview rotatable, too. This would be for all: Preview window, browser and on an actual device.

With iOS and universal storyboards, I need to show my devs both orientations. This would be nice to have in one prototype that reacts to the device orientation. Similar to Photoshop's Device Preview.

Side note: please build a stand-alone app for previewing prototypes. (i.e. Marvelapp)

• Josh Curtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Peter Yes, previewing within Adobe XD. However, being able to rotate within the browser as well would be amazing. Our phone app is 95% portrait experience, but our tablet app does rotate 100% in portrait and landscape. Sometimes stakeholders want to view a screen in both orientations, so it can be helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base