Request details

Repeat Grid: different SVG images in each grid cell

Apparently only JPG/PNG is supported when performing drag & drop of a set of images.
My assets are often SVG so supporting that format there would spare me from having to generate temporary PNGs or place manually.

It seems currently it adds all SVGs on all cells when dropping and creates a mask of all the files combined(??).

Thank you.

188 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adrien Tétar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Billy Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until this is addressed it looks like you have to batch convert svg to png or jpg and then drop them into the repeat grid.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this same issue. It would be convenient if this could be addressed for repeat grids rather than the same vector images repeating for each repeated element.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hell yeah. Need that asap! Please Adobe, include it :)

• Luis Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes,
    please consider this feature on your roadmap for future improvements

And congrats for the excellent work you have been doing.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add to this; I would also really appreciate this feature, but not just for SVGs but for any Symbols I have defined. If I define a load of icons as symbols I would like to be able to drag those symbols onto the repeat grid.

Keep up the good work!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all need this feature badly! I just stepped upon this problem and it was such a pain.

• Eric Schrader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SVGs have a group (single object) with a bunch of paths under the group. So replacing an "image" doesn't really work. Everywhere else I use high quality SVG files, but now I have to export specific images in a specific format. Kinda a pain.

• AymanAlrifai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Problem:
    I want to create different icons in repeat grid, but when i add an icon it repeated through the whole grid elements. and i can't make the preferred action unless i ungroup the repeat grid. but this is not a perfect fix of this problem.

The Solution:
    Ability to add different element to an individual repeat grid element.

• Daniel Falquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a need as we can leverage the color change feature. Imagine importing vector icons and changing the color to them with two clicks :D

• Mathieu Jouhet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy crap, so many things left to do for XD to be really usable for work. Being able to drag multiple SVGs in the repeat grid is actually quite important to me. I guess I'll export PNG now, though not without hating Adobe for having me do this.

• Kevin Lozandier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Dirk:

I don't think export SVGs as PNG is preferred or at all desirable:

Particularly when trying to design with Responsive or Adaptive prototypes in mind, creatives WANT to leverage the vector characteristics of SVG as much as possible–in addition to not unnecessarily manage multiple version of the image asset strictly because of sizing concerns.

Furthermore, symbols seem unrelated unless you can replace a symbol with another one that inherits the former symbol size and dimensions?

Also think a significant part of my issue isn't addressed that is more a general problem instead of a repeat-grid related problem: It's very intuitive that SVGs can't at least have the option to be treated just like raster images when a creative use case is EXACTLY like raster images.

It seems to be a weird treatment of SVGs that seem to be resolved if the current handling of SVGs was trigged not as immediately or more deliberate to be accessed.

The reasoning is that it's more likely by default SVGs are desired to be treated more like how raster images already are treated like.

Nonetheless, it's a severe problem you can't drag & drop a set of SVG images like raster images with the benefits of the repeat grid feature to the extent I'm worried why it's in the backlog.

WIth typical efficient UI & UX day-to-day workflows, SVGs are used to represent icons elegantly.

When creating mock-ups that need to represent a set of icons, many efficient UI creatives would want to drag a set of SVG icons as needed within their prototypes.

• AdminDirk Schulze (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. Adobe XD indeed treats SVG as an import of vector shapes. Once important, shapes within the SVG content can be edited or reused within the project.

It indeed means that the content can not get replaced as easy as with pixel graphics. Depending on your use case an alternative might be "symbols":
    1. Select your SVG content on the canvas after import
    2. On the left side bar on the bottom you should see the icon for the "Symbol Library" on Mac. Open the library.
    3. In the opening library sidebar click on the + on the top.

Now you can replace the content of the symbol later on and it will get reflected on all other repeat cells.

Another alternative would be export the SVG content as PNG first.

I think the requested functionality is currently covered by the following feature request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/14858715-repeat-grid-different-svg-images-in-each-grid-cel

You can up vote this feature request to raise visibility and priority of this feature. Please let me know if this feature request covers your use case.

Greetings,
    Dirk

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base