Request details

Organize artboards into Groups/Sets/Tree hierarchy

A way to potentially group or label pages (even just with a colored circle) would be incredibly helpful with staying organized and working through different user flows and scenarios.

103 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Bobay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jerry Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support group artboards is very useful. I have 50+ artboards in my prototype, have to spend lot of time manage them.

• Gregory Fitzgerald Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have read through the majority of the comments. I have had this same issue when using Axure RP. Even the grouping(Folders) did not help in complex prototypes. There does need to be a process which the Artboards could be arranged in a multitude of user flows and three key ones for me would be the following:
    - Presentations (Selected View of chosen artboards, still retaining micro interactions if used with animations)
    - Review (Brainstorming, Ideation, Critique Reviews with Clients/Team Members)
    - PDF export (Similar to Illustrator when given the capability to choose pages, sections)

• Ross Bentley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES yes and yes. I'm working with projects that have over 60-120 artboards, and about a quarter-third of those are repeated artboards needed for auto-animate transitions.
    Thus, my biggest feature request:

!!! Grouping/organizing artboards, both in the layers panel and in the workspace. !!!

My user-flows get ruined when I want to add animations, so I have to use other programs like Sketch or Overflow to create user-flows that clients and colleagues can easily understand. This often adds over 4 hours of extra work when it should already be done, as long as I am organized and disciplined throughout my project creation. I can't actually believe Adobe doesn't have this feature yet, seems like a no-brainer.

• Marshall Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating states a single page can take up a large amount of space. It would be amazing to be able to have a collapsible grouping similar to a repeat grid.

In the repeat grid the object proportions and overall values will change across all of them when one is changed, but different images or text can be place inside the grid and those values remain distinct. What would be amazing if states could be added to a page so that when changing a page the states are changed simultaneously, but layers can be selected to be unique/animation layers. Once animation/state editing is complete the page could be collapsed so there isn't such a crowded pasteboard.

• Yerom_D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use XD now for big user journey and i have multiple case.
    I think the artboard panel could be enhanced with a manager :

Some ideas in this manager :
    - Group artboards in folders or page (Sketch is doing that)

- Possibility to automate a graphic presentation with the name of the folder on the screenview. As we have the artboard name on top of tip, we could have the option to show the name of the group/folder on the left or top(with a bigger font size).

- Possibilty to export the group/folder on one graphic file with title on top or left. Ok the file could be huge but could be useful to print user journey on large poster very easily.

Thanks !

• Vlad Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use this to group artboard sequences into interactions or animations. For example, I might have a series of artboards linked with auto-animate. They capture the start, transitional, and final states of a single screen. It would even be nice to collapse them into one item like "Show product", concealing the "animation frames" like: fade in product > rotate and slide in product info or pop-up message > play sound.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to have a group feature for artboards if you're doing auto animate in prototype mode. For example, if I want to show how the dropdown for a menu works I could group artboards into a "space" or something that would be its own container to organize it. So I could organize menu artboards together that have an animation showing it dropping down instead of all of the artboards scattered about.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Grouping artboards would likely be a more effective solution to Sketch's 'pages' - allowing us to prototype across the groups, but still isolate certain groupings of pages for organizational purposes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with this request. Many of the other commenters have already proposed excellent ideas for grouping, labeling, "boxing" and otherwise organizing artboards on the canvas area.

One more suggestion:

- allow me to hide or "demote" a set (or group, or box, or whatever you want to call it). On the canvas, the demoted set might take on a semi-transparent or even desaturated look. This will make it easier for me to visually search the design in progress and find the work I need to focus upon right away.

• Ponchai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful when story boarding application workflows.

• Tomas Nosek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep, this is definitely a must have feature. I am lost and loosing time even in 40 artboard design file.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you have a project with lots of artboards, it would be really helpful to be able to group them.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the above. I would really appreciate the ability to group artboards. Thanks

• Adam M Babkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently have a project with 210 Artboards that could be divided into 7 groups and then 5 groups within that. Instead, I have 210 artboards and no good way to get around them. Even a "Navigator" like photoshop would be great in this case.

• Tess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add to the subject: nice to have a fast way to move to artboard and / or artboard group. Somewhere after 40 artboards (many of them are basically copies to imitate the behavior of the same screen as there are currently no "layer composition" panel functionality) it's becoming a bit tricky to quickly find your way around.

• Claudia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a complex project produces a vast amount of artboards. It would be incredibly helpful, if the artboards could be arranged in groups that can be collapsed and expanded. E.g. define different levels of hierarchy like in a mindmap.

• Justin Wilden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a Menu Item in the bottom left-hand corner, ie. Layers, Symbols, "Sets".

In addition to Artboard 'Layers' view.
    - I would like to see an Artboard 'Set' view; where I can group Artboards in a Set.
    - Then use Sets to print, export, share and move all Artboards in Set.
    - Hide Sets.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base