Request details

Support sound/audio

What is it with Adobe's hatred of sound? They keep coming out with apps that make it easier to assemble web sites yet _ALWAYS_ exclude sound. There are a lot of creative projects I'd like to work on with Adobe but they require sound files. From a web site where you click and drag loops to mix the audio live, to a kid's virtual zoo where you click on an animal to hear the sound it makes, to a site made for visually-impared people who have to navigate by sound, to a site about how orchestras work where you can "conduct" based on how you move the mouse around the various instruments, and just basic music snippets visitors can click on to hear samples. But I can't do any of these because Adobe has this intense, all-consuming vitriolic hatred of audio. Every time they come out with a new web app they leave out everything to do with sound, and when I ask about this Adobe just stares at me in befuddled confusion as if I was insane for even thinking it was worth mentioning in the first place.

Why, Adobe? Why exclude sound from web apps? Why completely ignore ears as if they were never there? What is your problem with audio?

92 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

palenoue shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • canals commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

he would be great to have the possibility to add song.

To create complex hypermedia project for example.

It would increase the impact of ux design prototype.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need to import mp3 and other sound formats into XD.

this feature will help us to design a powerful interaction, like open songs or some sound effects through the app.

• Oluebube Oti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As designers we love to make our prototypes more interactive to the users/testers, implementing sounds to prototypes will give quality to the design. Like on click sound for buttons and menu, start up sound for voice UI Design and apps.

• David Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if someone at Adobe would comment on this feature, given its upvote status!

This should be on the feature list priorities, IMO.

What good is prototyping an app with no sound??

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@palenoue how dare you share a link like that? Im trying to work... I read your post at 10am and now its lunch time and ive gotten nothing done.

• palenoue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What comes after "wearable" tech? Hearable tech, or rather, using ear-worn devices to interact with mobile apps and web sites. According to Gartner hearable will be the next big thing
        https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2018-11-29-gartner-says-worldwide-wearable-device-sales-to-grow-

And Adobe has nothing for this. XD and Muse are totally silent, Dreamweaver is designed to ignore sound. Adobe is so focused on the visuals they totally overlook those things called "ears" that everybody has, at least when it comes to mobile and web design.

So what are we to do when "hearables" become popular? Obviously we can't do anything using Adobe apps. Try designing an app in XD that uses audio cues. You can't. Try making something like this (https://aidn.jp/mikutap/) using Muse or Dreamweaver, it will take you ten times longer than hard-coding it all from scratch in Javascript.

I've lost clients due to Adobe's stubborn belief that all mobile and web design must be completely devoid of sound. When they release Aero it will be totally silent as well, much to the dismay of designers who want to put sound into their AR projects.

The mobile and internet world is going to embrace audio soon, and Adobe refuses to help us be part of it.

Ever try to make something like this with Adobe apps: https://aidn.jp/mikutap/

You can't. Adobe refuses to allow audio in their mobile/web apps. How many clients are lost due to this arbitrary decision? Lost yet another potential client due to Adobe's stubborn refusal to acknowledge ears.

• Harun Alikadić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides having Speech Playback as an interaction action, it would be great to upload a sound and have Sound Playback. Not every feedback is a speech feedback, it could be just an error sound, taddah success or just a simple beep sound. Even a predefined sound feedback library would be great.

Just lost a potential job today because Adobe has this pathological hatred towards audio. Client likes my design work and creativity, wanted me to design an app that relies heavily on music and audio cues. Couldn't be done on Adobe apps so they went to a developer who charges a lot more and produces uninspired apps (seriously, their lackluster apps were the reason the clients came to me first.)

What do we have to do to convince Adobe that audio is a valid tool for mobile/internet communication? A petition? Crowdfunding bribes? Boycott? Protests outside Adobe HQ? (we'll definitely have the best-designed placards) Many people have asked for sound tools in numerous Adobe apps but we get ignored, so what do we have to do for Adobe to take audio seriously?

• Marti Gold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to prototype multi-modal interfaces, we need the ability to add simulated voice prompts/responses (and sound effects) to screen transitions, buttons, etc. The experience of many applications could be improved/streamlined if the interaction sequences involved a combination of voice and screen.

• PJ Davy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add sound capabilities. As a sound artist wanting to experiment with app creation from a sound perspective, it's frustrating not being able to utilise Adobe in this way.

• Dr. L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fully agree - when recording a demo video it is VERY likely, that I also want to add a voice track to my demo, where I can provide some info on what I am doing in the demo. At the moment, I have to do a demo recording and sound recording in parallel and then put together both recordings in a video tool (or I use a video tool instead, that supports screen and voice recording instead of using the XD video recording (both is not very user friendly)

• Scott W Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! The ability to do voice over when demonstrating a prototype and sending the MP4 to others would be so good.

• GA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this could be a fairly easy feature to add: when in Prototype mode and a user makes an interaction between two artboards/widgets, in the dropdown menu that appears to customize the interaction, the user should be allowed to attach a sound to the interaction or to just be able to attach a sound as an individual widget interaction when clicking on it.

This is important because if we are designing for impairments or users who are auditory learners, our prototypes should be able to reflect the full capabilities of what we are imagining our designs can do for those users. For example, there are apps designed for education and that give instructions, so if our users prefer to hear while reading the instructions, we should be allowed to attach a voice to the prototype so the users can understand how the designs can help them.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a great feature and to be used on so many occasions!

• Derek Dorsett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Please add sound to this. I could use this to help my English Language Learners. Right now I have to try and create flash files using Adobe Captivate so that my students have interactive stuff. With sound and Adobe XD, I would be unstoppable! I mean, sound is a YUGGGGE part of the UX.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base