Request details

Dynamic link with other CC file formats - edit in Photoshop/Illustrator auto-updates in XD

It would be great to simply import psd files into XD through either 'file // import PSD', or, in photoshop, 'file // export to XD', without having to rework the files.

An example for this would be a user that is designing an app in photoshop and has around 15 artboards. It would be great if the user could simply import each artboard into XD to create a wireframe to show a client / colleague, whilst also continue to make amends to the artboards in photoshop.

This could involve having some kind of Dynamic link between Photoshop and XD, so that users can edit files files in photoshop and see the changes instantly in their adobe XD files, similar to how After Effects and Premiere Pro talk to each other.

This is valuable to me as I will always do mockups for apps / websites / tools in Photoshop. Now Photoshop allows me to use use artboards (and create guides for individual artboards), it creates a much quicker and more effective work flow. As XD adds more features to design mode, I think some users will completely move away from photoshop to create mockups and soley use XD. However, other users will stick with Photoshop to create mockups and this where having some kind of 'Dynamic link' between the two is crucial. I think Adobe need to consider all types of users.

The same can also be said for those user Illustrator.

368 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ed Stennett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Regina Biberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we have limited opportunities to edit images in XD, I have to edit images in Photoshop and want to link the psd-file to my XD-file. When changes are done in the photoshop-file the changes will be automatically updated in the XD-file. That would be a great feature!

• Edu Couchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After almost three years, this common sense and time saving feature is still “under revision”. In my daily work with XD, more than three quarters of time is wasted importing and reimport again the images from Illustrator each time I make small changes as correcting a typo.

I use to create mockups with more than 20 pages... so multiply time, and sum all the errors you can do when you’ve to repeat the same absurd import and placement action, hounded of times and facing a deadline.

• Adam Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup. If you edit a photo in Photoshop, you can update the linked file in InDesign. Or Illustrator. Or Premier. Xd needs this too.

However, once you bring artwork in and start manipulating it, assigning actions, etc., I can see how complicated that would become, since now all individual layers/pieces are separated and potentially moved or rearranged. I don't envy the task, it seems difficult. But that's why we all pay Adobe so handsomely! :)

• Yuki M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Really time consuming re-importing images for iterations and refinements. Currently I export into Jpeg which I import into XD. In Indesign the dynamic link updates nicely but this feature is non existent in XD.

• Alan Luckow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do my UI layouts in Illustrator. It's really a pain to copy and paste them into XD. I import artboards from my Illustrator files into inDesign just fine. I thought it was a convention. Then they update across docs when I make changes.

A dynamic link would be great. Especially since the text loses it's formatting when you copy from illustrator into XD. What, you didn't know that? Well it does. Any tabbed text loses the tabs.

I can see issues with losing the prototype settings sometimes if graphics change, but I think I could live with that.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XDで作ったデザインを、そのままPhotoshopとIllustratorで開いて編集できるようにして欲しい。
        また、プロトタイプで一部固定ができるようにして欲しい。

It would be great to have a better Indesign integration. BUT NOT COPY PASTE (most interestingly this feature request gets always merged with a completeley different request).

WHAT I WOULD REALLY REALLY NEED is the ability to have assets linked to external files. I design my artwork in InDesign and export PNG files. Those files should be linked in XD. Whenever I export new PNGs it would be great if the linked content would be updated automatically. This would speed up prototyping much more!

• Taketani Yasuko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Photoshop and Illustrator, you want to read and edit directly. And the editing in Photoshop and Illustrator, you want to read into the DX

• Bardo Nelgen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned, but IMHO a point & shoot interface for resource management could do an amazing job here; both in ease of handling in Design Mode as well as maintaining the resource clutter (one interface for all resources — like we had it to perfection in good old GoLive oder rudimentary still have it in InDesign; similar to the current link editing approach in prototype mode…).

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I create art boards in Photoshop and generate png files from the elements etc using the Adobe Generator, I import those files in Adobe XD.
        I would like to see the files automatically update if I make a change in Photoshop.

Linked assets to external files (png, photoshop, ai etc.) – this would speed up the prototyping process tremendously. For example, I design in InDesign and export png – if those would be updated automatically – that would do the trick!

• Sunay Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a change is made in XD it makes the change in say Photoshop or Illustrator and vice versa.

• BrahimS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, it would be nice if I could select a picture and send it to photoshop cc for editing, and XD can do the tracking for updated

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base