Request details

Additional Paste functionality

Don't know if I should file this as a bug or feature.

When I cut a portion of text from a body of text I expect it to paste into an independent textbox when i hit Cmd + V.

This doesn't happen currently.

Additional features associated with this would be:
- 'Paste in Place' or 'Paste Forward' - which XD does by default.
- 'Paste Behind'
- 'Paste Inside'
- 'Paste In All Artboards

Given all the ways designers can paste these days why don't we create a paste submenu. 2016, lets make it happen!

58 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sylvester Aryee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter Villevoye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also posted a request for another "Paste..." essential: Paste into !
    Please vote for that one separately, since it's not a totally new feature, it just needs a tweak.

In the recent update, the "Paste Appearance" command can be used to copy/paste an already placed image into another frame or shape. It is very useful, but I'm afraid no user will expect the feature to be named and used in that way. I've tested it with a few course attendees (by asking them "what would you expect?") and they all answered "Paste Into". Even with the "Paste Appearance" command available to them in sight (under the right-click or menu command), they overlooked it.

Users don't expect such an image to be an aspect of "appearance". And besides that, it took Adobe Illustrator about 15 years to get users to understand the "Appearance" term – and they still don't.

• davidicus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fwiw, i intuitively expect anything i paste to be a child of the element currently selected.
    i also expect pasted things to land relative to either the Artboard or currently selected element.
    Paste Into and Paste In Place or similar might help.

i still have trouble selecting hierarchically (click, double click, cursor on the wrong pixel kind of thing, how do i get to that element?) too; so, group/parent/hierarchy clarity in general might benefit from some polish.

• Mitchell Fishman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This would be great to have...in my current setup I have 30 artboards and if I need to change a logo at the top right for all of them then I need change it on one artboard, copy it, and proceed to paste it one by one on each of the 30 artboards! Very time consuming and inefficient...would love to be able to copy from one artboard, and select all or a range of artboards and paste into the same location for all the selected artboards.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have additions to a design that need to be on all (or a selected range) of artboards. A "paste on all artboards" and/or a "paste on focused artboards" would be useful here.

• Martin Sangolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to see implementation of "paste behind" and "paste in front".
    Those shortcuts in Illustrator are invaluable, and they are more intuitive than layers and the arrange-tools.

Feedback and Knowledge Base