Request details

2,347 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jsprlprd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As you’ve probably noticed, we’ve delivered Layout Grids in the November release of XD. We’d love specific feedback on Layout Grids as we continue to grow, so I’m closing this feature request. If you have specific additional functionality you’d like to see in the Layout Grid feature, please do file it as a new feature request in the Design feature area!

Thanks,

-Elaine

309 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

19 months since I first posted. I have had to move on with an alternative work flow. This is just disappointing from Adobe, XD apears to be a vanity project.

• Chad Krulicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was thrilled to see XD has moved out of Beta and was immediately let down by the lack of a layout grid tool. This is essential and until it is incorporated in to XD, I'll be sticking with Sketch. I'm a big fan of the 8px grid method. Vertical rhythm is important too.

• Meddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be interesting to find the grids of cues used in Photoshop. This feature is hugely lacking on Adobe XD

• AdminElaine (Adobe) (Product Manager, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as a heads up, the tool will be flexible, but we're trying to figure out what most people use on a regular basis to see if we can provide smart defaults. So, if you received the survey, please do fill it out!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second Kjell Ruben's reply - how about the best of 2 worlds ? : total flexibility per Kjell said; then preformatted plug and play (updatable) grids you could import in - based on real world grids top design companies would use - some provided by Adobe; others crowdsourced via 3rd party XD community

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jisses, just had to stop that grid survey as it was going the wrong way. Doesn't look good. Totally wrong questions!

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for working on this! Have filled out the survey.

@Joachim - I suspect the specificity of the questions is to find out what people need... if your need is flexibility (which is also my need) then put it in the survey and I'm sure it will be collated and added to the pile.

I wouldn't take the questionnaire as hinting at a solution; if Adobe's UX people who are making the UX-specific product aren't finding out how users behave then I'd be more concerned...

• Joachim Tillessen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started filling out your survey about grids and lost patience with the specificity of questions. I want the software to make as little assumptions as possible about specific grid settings. Frontend frameworks that are overly opinionated about grids are painful to work with, if you want to create unique experiences. Professional design software should provide tools not solutions.

• Kjell Ruben Strøm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get the survey I've got. You want thousands of people choosing what they use the most and make one static tool?

How about making the grid system flexible so everyone can use it?

1. Let us set all the parameters. Margin, gutter, colomn and total width.
    2. Let us style the grid with color and opacity
    3. Make a horizontal line system as well where we can choose all the parameters. line width and spacing between lines.
    3. color/opacity of lines.

Just make a great tool once, instead of making 1000 different systems.

• Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very confused that XD still doesn't have any features for creating/managing grid systems. A complete wall preventing me from even starting to learn it.

• Alex F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates here? I get that you all have a TON to work on, but consistent updates (even if something is delayed) goes a long way.

Thanks so much!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have settings for a raster-layout with margin and collums functions

• San commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like XD. I really tried it with a project, until it became just too difficult to hack a grid manually. The lack of a proper layout grid manager is a deal breaker for me. As Calin Balea suggested, Figma has this right.

Its layout grid manager has been extremely liberating and allowed me to regain speed and control over my project (which can be used to generate horizontal grids as well: baseline grids!)

Until XD resolves this, Figma has my heart.

• Thom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Having no guides or grid of any kind on the PC version is pretty frustrating...

• Graham Barton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dumbfounded to learn Adobe XD does NOT have the most basic and necessary feature for layout/design: Margins and Columns. It's IMBECILIC. Sketch has it. Without it, XD is a non-starter of a program. I'm not talking about dragging out the occasional guide here and there, I mean a controllable grid, with margins, columns and gutters. I was all set to embrace XD. Not now. It'll be Sketch.

Feedback and Knowledge Base