Request details

Import Photoshop / PSD

Import Photoshop file with options to select layers and/or artboards.

This would increase ease of use and workflow, so a user is not always switching between apps. Import options for layers, artboards, or even layer comps, would also cut down a lot of rework.

1,288 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter DiBartolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    feature-completed  ·  AdminDan Tuhoarca (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

I’m glad to announce that we’ve just released this feature!

You can bring your Photoshop files into XD by simply opening a PSD file with the CMD-O command or by selecting “Open” from the “File” menu. Your file will automatically convert into a new XD file with your artboards, layers, and assets editable and at a high fidelity.

You can find more details about March release here:
    https://theblog.adobe.com/march-2018-update-adobe-xd/

Note that we bring in Photoshop elements and effects that can be mapped to XD’s functionality, the rest are either rasterized or not transferred yet to the XD file. Learn more about what is supported here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/open-photoshop-files-in-xd.html

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,
    Dan

153 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not have the psd option available. I dont even see the psd files when trying to open a file. I really need that feature working.

• matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just imported psd files into XD and two items render incorrect. A: a masked illustration made in illustrator and imported into photoshop took the ask off the illustration. B: the line height of the psd text increased making it rendor as if it was twice the line height. At this point i cannot trust that Adobe XD will import my photoshop files with accuracy.

• jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why I'm listed as having requested this feathure because this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the feature I requested -- which is to export PS files FROM XD not PS files to XD. The reason I am requesting this feature is because most of the agencies I've worked at claim they need Photoshop files to give to the developers and that's why they can't adopt XD. If XD could export PS files that would negate that rationale and help to sell XD to the holding companiers i work for.

While testing, vectors being turned into images are messing up more complex logos on conversion as well, flattening them into blocks. (not resembling logo)

Why is it now required to upgrade Windows to Fall Creators Update? I cant update it and cant install XD update now :(

Tested, so far the only thing i noticed is that vectors are no longer vectors so they'd need to be manually replaced =/

• Austin A Branham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haven't tested yet, but this is huge that you guys have introduced this! Thanks!! My prototype workflow just got significantly faster.

• Armando Scuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

works smoothly and nicely, only hassle I found is that on PSD any linked vector files become bitmap, but that is the only thing, and overall this feature now saves me lots of time

This is a straight thing to expect. I tried it with import, thinking it was already in place and was shocked that it is not an option!

• Raymond Liang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our entire organization is looking to switch to XD and this feature is what we need as the last piece of the puzzle. We have tons of visual assets created in Photoshop and being able to open them in XD will save our life.

• Oleksiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for PSD to XD import functions. We just made a complete redesign of https://rioks.com and our designer was suppose to export all his PSDSs into XD... Well. I got sadly surprised Adobe doesn't cover that. :(

Please add PSD import. I have to edit images all the time and it would be nice to not keep making jpgs until the end

• Armando Scuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a pain in the *** for me right now as a designer at my work continues to use photoshop for UI with no artboards, just layers for different screens, as well as unconventional resolutions and massive pixel count, so I end up receiving hundreds of MBs files for just few screens. Whenever I tell them about Adobe XD they says they want to learn but do not have time. I end up having to recreate all they did in XD for prototyping and developer handoff features.

• Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doh! I just bought CC to do exactly this! Don't tell me I can't?????

• Komeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a fantastic feature to integrate! and it will be better if its a two-way feature, that is export .xd to .psd and vice versa. It will make it design hand-of a lot easier. I currently cant export to zeplin or sympli because it only supports XD on MacOS. but if i can export to PSD it will be easier to export to zeplin with photoshop.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base