Adobe XD: Feature Requests

We love to hear feature requests for Adobe XD from you! UserVoice works best when you file a single idea per submission, but feel free to file as many submissions as you’d like!

Please include:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  3. If possible, an image or movie to help us understand what you’re talking about
--------------------------------------------
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE FOR BUG REPORTS

IMPORTANT: On August 30, 2019 User Voice Bugs forum will transition to read-only.

You can reach our support team in the following:
- Adobe XD Community Forum, https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobexd

For current XD Known Issues list visit,

Thank you!
Adobe XD Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adjust error message when exporting to a file open in another app

I needed to overwrite a file when exporting it. However, I spent approximately 20 minutes trying to figure out why I kept getting the error "There was a problem exporting your asset. We'd love to understand what went wrong so that we can fix this for you. Please tell us about the problem here."

I finally realized that this was because I was overwriting an opened file (I was viewing it in Adobe reader). As a software engineer to a team of software engineers, I highly recommend making the errors much more specific to the issue.

if File.isOpen()
    sendError("Please close…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  04 : Asset exporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Default placement of first artboard should be in a corner

Art boards start off being placed at the center of the canvas but as projects grow and things are placed outside of art boards it becomes difficult and time consuming to move the group to the upper most bounds. By default the art board should be placed in the upper-most right corner of the canvas to maximize space and minimize the pain that comes in moving when you realize you are out of canvas space.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Preview Bounds

Like in Illustrator, to have the ability to edit things with preview bounds for things that have a border that are done with the pen tool/line tool/imported SVGs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Prototype wires to go underneath artboards (optional)

Have the ability for prototype wires to go underneath the artboards.

This feature would be would be already made wires, any wire that you are live-editing would be above artboards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  02 : Prototype mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. User-rights management in online prototype (permissions)

Users should have different statuses like admin, able to leave comments, just watch, disallow access to specific areas of the prototype.

- sometimes users have to be able to look over an prototype but not to comment

- some users might watch specific parts of a prototype but shell not see others

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  03 : Sharing on the web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Choose whether to add border to shared prototype

Realize that this was "fixed" by removing borders for prototypes, but I am now having an issue with designs that use a white background color.

It is hard to tell the boundaries of the viewport. Feel like it will be impossible to satisfy everyone with a default setting.

Any way we could choose to add a border color to our prototypes?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  02 : Prototype mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [Win] Ability to close project and still open another file without reopening app

It would be awesome if every time I opened the wrong file, after closing it, I would still get the initial screen where I can choose another file.

As of right now, the project closes and I have to reopen the application to choose another file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Global color swatches across the application

Introduce a feature to Swatches, where you can access all your colours that you've saved in other projects and be able to view them in all projects, similar to Photoshop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Separate symbols from other assets

Especially in bigger projects it can be necessary to create many symbols or global elements (like a header which appears on each document, or a footer - so it should be given more space for these things.

Also it would be helpful to have the possibility to categorize symbols as well. So for example there could be different forms, buttons (add new, send, post, etc.) different types of bundled in one category - so they can quickly be placed on each place in the document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Display file's last edit date and time beside file name

Either display the last edit/change in the window title where the file name resides or better yet, each artboard also displays the last change time and date. This is very important for large companies which has multiple designers working on a single file.

Please see attached mockup, refer to the middle window title.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Associate comments with versions of the prototype

At the moment I realise a prototype, everyone comments on it and if I update the prototype the comments are lost.

I think it would be really cool if comments were maintained if i republish a prototype.
    Maybe the comments could be labelled with a page release version number or date so i can hid them - but I don't want to lose the comments, i want the person who left the comment to be able to marked the problem they highlighted as solved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  03 : Sharing on the web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add rename, edit, and export to assets panel context menu

The addition of a few features to the right click menu in the assets panel would definitely improve productivity.

1. Rename - The ability to right click and rename objects in the assets panel would greatly improve the ability to organize objects instead of the current method of navigating to list view and then renaming objects.

2. Edit - The ability to right click and edit any asset (as is currently possible only with colors) would be extremely useful for assets that are used infrequently in large projects that would have to be found manually and changed on the canvas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 50% zoom keyboard shortcut

Similar to Zoom In Cmd+1=100%, Cmd+2= 200% it would be nice to have Zoom Out, say Cmd+Shift+2 = 50%

Currently the only way to go 50% from keyboard is hit Cmd+- twice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automatically average/modify uneven gaps for dashed border strokes

If a dash and gap lengths do not evenly go around the circumference of an object, a merged dash will occur, making it uneven. To avoid the merge or the incorrect gap on the top, XD would have to average/modify the gaps or the lengths so to automatically change values for those. I hope to see this option implemented for border strokes in the future.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. warning window before create a new link

Hi,

I love XD but I do have one comment when updating the button to create a new link is right next to it, and it's been many times that I click the create a new link by mistake and then I need to resend the last link and or add all the emails to the invite list. Should be good if there is a warning window that you need to double check before create a new link

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  03 : Sharing on the web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Measure overlap between objects

Currently we can only measure the distance between the two objects that either don't overlap or are entirely separate. It would be nice to between the top edge of two object that overlap (for example, between object B side E and object A side A, labeled as measurement 1). I would like to be able to select the edge of the object I want to measure from and see the measurement to the selected edge of another object.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Widen Scroll Bar on Layers Window.

The scroll bar for the layers window is narrow and takes precise mouse work to select it on a laptop or high resolution screen. Double the thickness so it is easy to select and drag. Great app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  09: Design Specs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show reload icon when a new prototype has been published

Mark the guide with new(or refresh) icon when there is a renewal in the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Fixed Position to right click/context menu

The fixed position option is fantastic but could benefit from being easier to access. Adding the fixed position option to the context menu or just adding a a keyboard shortcut would greatly benefit many designers' workflows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Preview Window Behind Context Windows

If context windows (color pickers, preview, publish, etc.) appeared in front of the preview window, but everything else remained the same (i.e. the preview window is still always in front of the canvas) I think the annoyance of having info unexpectedly hidden by the preview window would be avoided.

This applies to both Design & Prototype mode.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base